PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 8:57 pm 
Offline Profile Send private message
Player: Kirin
reset as of Sept 15

To Krim and back... hopefully.

To avoid too many spoilers, the basics are here-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1532&p=57742#p57742

Now, to the Storyline;
The first challenge is getting a band of daring souls from here to there, and it is one of the least-known corners of this part of the world. Kidnapping comes to mind, but I am not thinking that Phaing would be the likely choice now. She would be more useful as a guide to that place, one of the few people in T.d'A. that has ever been there. But there is grave risk in Phaing going there, having murdered her legal owner there and set his mansion aflame on her way out the door. That carries a sentence of death by torture in Fangohr.

There is another item, one meant to be a big surprise to the Chars. That missionary isn't the only D'Angeline on Krim. In fact, there are hundreds of them, and they consider themselves to be more pure than, well, than any of the Chars probably do, no matter who they are.
Not all of D'Aiglemort's men took up Black Shields and sought to atone for the part they played in Waldemar Selig's invasion. Some of them chose to slip away, lead by a couple of Glory-Seekers thought to be dead, and traveled in a parallel but more southerly path that the Yeshuites were taking.
Kalamach Cin is the eastern end of Krim, and the location of the only productive mines to be found there. Iron mines, making these exiles wealthy as well as powerful in this war-torn region. A few women went with them, impressionable tavern-maids for the most part, and for the rest of the men there were local women to inter-marry with... all descendants are still recognizably d'Angeline.
Their dialect may be hard to follow, however.

These people know little about what has happened back in the homeland since they departed. Phe'dre's role in bringing down the Mahrkagir of Drujan is better known here than Prince Imriel's role in defeating Carthage, for example. They will certainly not be favorably disposed towards the Royal line descended from Ysandre or those that praise it, Shahrizai kin and most especially the Skaldi.
I have not named any of these people yet, but they must be strong and secure enough to withstand Fangohr, but not powerful enough to smash that place ... elsewise they would certainly have done so by now. They will have built technically advanced (by local standards) Castles and have the strongest Cavalry on Krim, but they are too few in numbers to control more than their little corner of the world.
I could use some help fleshing this little warrior-culture out.
And that missionary, Armand Trente, didn't go to Fangohr to try to convert the Skaldi, he was looking for these long-lost d'Angeline renegades. By the time our group arrives, he has found them. At first he was welcomed with open arms and given a temple of his own. Six months ago, he was thrown into a dungeon for preaching about the joy of life in Terre d'Ange and trying to convince people to return there. A persistent fellow, he has his fellow prisoners and half the guards convinced they are wasting their lives here, but thus far that is the limit of his progress.

Kalamach Cin, Gurzsuph, Fangohr and the secretive Malventum make up 4 factions that feud and trade with each other, alliances and hostility change with the seasons in bewildering tangles that even the locals have difficulty keeping track of.
There is a 5th faction.
Arch-Fiend Ramius Tolbuhkin and his little cult of death-merchants are the least physically powerful group of all, and the most psychologically threatening. They really do commune with Demons, inviting possession and practicing foul magic to stay one step ahead of the Skaldi who have put a price on their heads.

Currently, they are in the Ephesian enclave of Gurzuph, contributing to the chaos and corruption. Ramius is also helping to perpetuate the myth that Krim is ungovernable and not worth the Sultan's trouble. This is not strictly true, the real fear is that should Ephesus occupy the whole of Krim, a Human Tsunami made up of Tatar warriors would descend on Krim for a jolly-good war with the Sultan's 'soft-handed' Army. Appeasing the Tatars is the reason there is no garrison there, only Tatar mercenaries collecting good coin for services rendered.
Good service, until the il-Khan calls for something else.

A false start-
Proud Monster is a red herring of sorts. I was going to lay clues that this Pirate ship was being used by the Kidnappers. It isn't, but the Captain does know who they are, and where they are headed. Captain Picco was unable to take the job, he can't sail through to the Black Sea without being lynched by the Ephesians.

These are the bare bones of the adventure, what would you all like to do with them?

"Its midnight, half of the City of Elua is making love to the other half!"

Vralian Painter
PostPosted: September 5th, 2015, 10:13 pm 
Player: Phlylgenion
It sounds like it could be fun.

You might be able actually do something to that affect. There used to be an account for spreading rumors. The player who used that account is apparently inactive though. Jewell just created a rumor mill section that you could use instead (viewforum.php?f=385). You (and other people) could create NPC's to be used by other players, with whatever restrictions you want in this thread. The NPC's could be referenced in other people's threads without creating accounts for them.

You could make it Phaing and just put it off until you are more happy with her development. Of course, if Phaing were kidnapped, then you wouldn't be able to post her with the characters traveling to Krim. I suppose you or someone else could create her kidnapper for her to interact with. There would be the return journey though and events in Krim for her to interact with the others. You could also send some of your other characters (a new one if necessary/possible).

(skip to the next paragraph for something more to the point)
I do still plan to do my big journey to the west, so a lot of my characters would be occupied.
Demetrios, Annette, Elaisa, Danny, Valerie, and Celeste would be unavailable. The Doge wouldn't be involved. I might be able to have Wynthrop return after some episodes in the Atlantic in time to go return to Terre D'Ange and go east. I don't see my full Maghuin Dhonn character getting involved. I have a character (Sabrina Floriana) from Cythera, though she's a bit of a blank slate at the moment. She mostly will want to escape from Cythera Maybe she would seek out the Krim to fight back against the Ottomans occupying Cythera? She could intersect with other characters (not that way) once there. I don't really see Vytrell going - he mostly wants to hide from the Varlians and paint stuff. I was going to have him be interested in painting the Terre D'ange that lies beyond (or whatever it was) and the gods - he secretly pursues mystical/magical sort of stuff towards that end. Jadine mostly wants to build influence and ruin her enemies in Terre D'Ange. I'm not sure if Osman would necessarily get involved, but Ephesium could definitely play a part (even if I have to create a different Ephesian character - maybe the Sultan). Ephesium would either want to conquer and make use of Krim - if not possible, then Ephesium would want to mass its strength against potential incursions from Krim. Of the new characters I considered, the adepts wouldn't get involved. I was going to create an enigmatic and mysterious historian. He would definitely be intrigued by Krim. I also considered a sort of mad scientist/former priest of Shemhazi at the academy of the occult - I don't really see much of a role for this character, though he could provide information in the beginning.

I think that Wynthrop (with appropriate timing), maybe Osman, maybe Sabrina Floriana (she needs something to do anyway), and/or maybe my enigmatic historian might be able to play roles. Vytrell is possible but unlikely. Wyntrhop could help to search for Phaing. Osman would mostly play a role in any relations between Krim and Ephesium. Sabrina could possibly interact with Phaing in Krim. The historian would be a wildcard, though he could probably just go with Wynthrop.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 11:05 am 
As for the involvement of my own Characters in this....

Z'epheryne wouldn't bother and has no interest in anything outside this Kingdom.
However, if someone like the Ambassidor or the Dauphine should so command it, she is just a Comtess' after all.

Lancastre ;also, not the sort to get involved... however, he does have an interesting solution to the problems of Cytheria. This could provide a sort of parallel support to the progress of the rest of the party.
(while you were gone, he has come into the service of the Dauphine, I guess we can say that he got bored while Osman was spending the summer with Z'epheryne up in Namarre?)

Hrolvath; this is the one that could be very helpful indeed, in the first chapter. He's a sailor and Skaldi and fairly intelligent. And... unemployed at the moment.

To keep things straight in my head, I had divided the adventure up in to chapters in my head. Since we are laying all our cards out on the table, I may as well show them here;

1- Proud Monster; the kidnapping and journey to Krim. It is named for the Skaldi Pirate ship that may serve as the ship we are chasing, or the ship we use to do the pursuit with. It can enter d'Angeline waters because it has not raided their ships or Akkadian ones... yet.

2- Maelstrom; Krim itself, which involves the tangled situation at one end, and the discovery of long-lost Kingdoms and strange connections to Terre d'Ange itself.

3- The Golden Bridge; (optional) a Horde of Tatar take note of the chaos in Krim, which could lead to a pitched battle or a heroic sacrifice, or both.

4- The Big Blue; the trip home up the river and overland, and it can be quick and easy or in-depth, depending on how curious and/or helpful people wish to be with the situation in Chowat, which is a powder-keg and a complicated one.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 10:08 pm 
post obsolete

Gentian Free Adept
PostPosted: September 7th, 2015, 12:31 am 
Player: Jewell
Problem - Edmée isn't going to be in the City anymore by then; I already have plans for her to be in Namarre.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 7th, 2015, 8:59 am 
n/t

Mercenary Privateer
PostPosted: September 7th, 2015, 1:27 pm 
I suppose I can make Wynthrop work with a date earlier in September. I can just backdate anything that I write about him, starting from a few days after his last thread with Phaing. I suppose he could possibly sail across the Atlantic and back between late June and early September. If it gets unrealistic, I'll just say that Elua intervened on his return trip to make it faster.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 7th, 2015, 6:04 pm 
n/t because of the reset

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 8th, 2015, 7:32 pm 
We could set this back to October, but it takes 6 weeks to get to Krim by ship, on the average, which would make this a wintertime adventure.
The return trip would be VERY wintery... brrrr!
Maybe it would be best to set this back a few more months? How early in the year does Sea travel out of Terre d'Ange become reasonably safe?

EDIT--
The start date is very much up in the air, I now have no idea, can we say Spring and start sooner than that?

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 15th, 2015, 8:54 pm 
Scroll up for the; RESET for the top post that will get this thing back on track.

Lets get to brain-storming!

What us up there only covers the first 2 parts and is left without too much being set in stone, so that you all can put some meat on the bones of this thing. Any details left can be covered by me before we get there.... and damn, that's a pretty humongous post as is.
Glad I stopped there.
Feel free to take on a location or group of people as your pets, if you like.

Vralian Painter
PostPosted: September 17th, 2015, 8:06 pm 
You're probably right about her being more effective as a guide. It's probably best that you have a character to travel with everyone, and Phaing is clearly the best choice of your characters, especially since a lot of this would revolve around her.

Maybe there is an attempt on Phaing's life or an attempted kidnapping that fails, so she has to return to eliminate the culprit. Maybe she was poisoned or infected with something that would allow her to travel to Terre D'Ange and enjoy herself for a while before it began to take effect, snatching away her freedom, unless she returned to find the cure in Krim. I suppose someone else could be kidnapped. Maybe a sister, even a previously unknown sister? Maybe she is simply overwhelmed by some desire to seek a greater revenge against Krim.

So I suppose a Skaldi character, a Shahrizai, and a member of the royal family have to come.

My (proposed) historian would definitely be interested in studying those D'Angelines.

Maybe the Knights Templar could be a foundation for the society? Maybe the D'Angeline equivalent of the Vralian church in the third trilogy with a militaristic bent? Maybe something like the "Sons of Cassiel" who train like Cassilines with an ideology that been warped?

Ephesium would probably wish to provide support to whichever faction would prove most amenable to Ephesian ambitions. The death merchants would probably work out fine. Ephesium is generally interested in conquering waterways to dominate trade. The sultan would probably seek to use the death merchants. On the other hand, perhaps Ephesium would actually support multiple factions secretly to keep Krim from uniting.

I did have the Ephesians impressing sailors and stopping ships for inspections - especially Serenissiman ships.

Generally, I'd still say that the characters I mentioned above could still play the same roles I mentioned above.

Although Wynthrop will travel to the west first, the threads for this can be written before I write those thread,

I'd say, once you figure out what Phaing's motivation would be if she doesn't get kidnapped, that you should start a thread involving the pirate ship. At least Wynthrop, maybe the historian (one who travels around the world trying to learn the truth about Elua), could be involved in the thread. Afterwards, I can eventually write a thread for Osman to negotiate with whomever he would negotiate with from Krim.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 18th, 2015, 10:50 am 
Vytrell Roschenkov wrote:
You're probably right about her being more effective as a guide. It's probably best that you have a character to travel with everyone, and Phaing is clearly the best choice of your characters, especially since a lot of this would revolve around her.

The way I understand it, no adventure it supposed to revolve around anyone, least of all a Player Character. Phaing could be the best guide in Fangohr City and re-trace the route she used to escape, but as a street urchin and then house-bound slave, her knowledge of the rest of Krim will be extremely limited, and 5 years out of date.

Maybe there is an attempt on Phaing's life or an attempted kidnapping that fails, so she has to return to eliminate the culprit. Maybe she was poisoned or infected with something that would allow her to travel to Terre D'Ange and enjoy herself for a while before it began to take effect, snatching away her freedom, unless she returned to find the cure in Krim. I suppose someone else could be kidnapped. Maybe a sister, even a previously unknown sister? Maybe she is simply overwhelmed by some desire to seek a greater revenge against Krim.

Well, something like that.
She dreads that place and has no living relatives that she knows of.... oh, but on the other hand...

I did leave the identity or even the current existence of her Father up in the air. The one her Mother escaped from, who might be either a Pirate or a Bandit, and dark-skinned as a man from North Africa would be.
Hmmmm....

So I suppose a Skaldi character, a Shahrizai, and a member of the royal family have to come.

My (proposed) historian would definitely be interested in studying those D'Angelines.

No doubt, and their side of history is bound to be very different from what Phe'dre set down in writing. The catch is, we won't know Kalamack Cin even exists until we get there.
Maybe the Knights Templar could be a foundation for the society? Maybe the D'Angeline equivalent of the Vralian church in the third trilogy with a militaristic bent? Maybe something like the "Sons of Cassiel" who train like Cassilines with an ideology that been warped?

Maybe.... but not the Cassiline angle. Those guys are not Battlefield-oriented, and the Battlefield is what determines longevity on Krim. Perhaps a lighter and more nimble version of Knightly cavalry has been invented here, one that can compete with Tatars on their own ground.
I am envisioning men wearing chain or scale mail polished to a high shine, wearing face-masks of steel molded to match the features of their faces. They have lances that can also be thrown, long curved swords, and can use light lever-action crossbows from the saddle.
Ephesium would probably wish to provide support to whichever faction would prove most amenable to Ephesian ambitions. The death merchants would probably work out fine. Ephesium is generally interested in conquering waterways to dominate trade. The sultan would probably seek to use the death merchants. On the other hand, perhaps Ephesium would actually support multiple factions secretly to keep Krim from uniting.

I did have the Ephesians impressing sailors and stopping ships for inspections - especially Serenissiman ships.

Time to reveal the big twist I had planned... I really didn't want to, but here goes-
While it would be nice to imagine that the men who rule Fangohr would go to all that trouble to bring an escaped slave all the way back from the City of Elua to face their justice, its not worth the time & effort.
Its the Arch-Fiend that would have wanted her.
Malfaedor was a pal of his, and a secret member of that little Cult. This is how he was able to create items with special properties. And no, Ramius isn't out for revenge either, but it might have been better for Phaing if it was that simple. What he wants is a ringer, a surprise entry into the Pit-Fights where much of the coinage in Krim is wagered (good coin is not common here, ingots of steel are even used as currency). He would have done his best to turn her into an absolute savage, force her to turn her back on Elua's teachings and also make her "ingest Demonic essence", thus creating something unbeatable in that Gladiatorial arena... no matter how pathetic and foolish she would look next to the other contestants.

This was my best idea for a conflict that would have to be resolved with the means we have here, instead of combat. Persuasiveness and ingenuity are what would be needed here.

Why does the Arch-Fiend want to do this?
Because magic is one thing, but if you want to take over the whole of Krim and eventually Vralia, and Ramuis does, then you need money, tons of it.
The grand prize this year is a shipment of Amber, enough to build a small house out of. Its not worth all that much here in Krim, but savvy folk know that it's worth it's weight in gold in Ceardici Unitas or Terre d'Ange.
Folk like Ramius, or certain Pirates.

And there you have it.

Now, if there is another candidate for a scheme like that, someone that looks like nothing but could be twisted into a soulless engine of destruction, lets go with that.

I'd say, once you figure out what Phaing's motivation would be if she doesn't get kidnapped, (a maybe-Daddy?) that you should start a thread involving the pirate ship. At least Wynthrop, maybe the historian (one who travels around the world trying to learn the truth about Elua), could be involved in the thread. Afterwards, I can eventually write a thread for Osman to negotiate with whomever he would negotiate with from Krim.

Wynthrop could be very valuable here, obviously, but maybe we should give him time to do that westward journey first?

Osman is another splendid candidate, even more so than a Courcel Royal .... and this would start out as too insignificant and end up far to risky for any Royal to even dream of taking part in.
Wouldn't it?

Comtesse de Vergennes
PostPosted: September 18th, 2015, 4:02 pm 
Player: Jewell
Quote:
The way I understand it, no adventure it supposed to revolve around anyone, least of all a Player Character.

It's fine for the adventure to revolve around a character - but the story isn't supposed to revolve around one author. The idea is that everyone involved in the storyline has a chance to contribute to it.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 9:44 am 
How large//important should the Pirate ship be? Will we use it to pursue the kidnappers (provided we are going with that idea) or should we just wring some information out of them and move on with a ship of our own?
Does any Char here have a ship of their own?

We still have a missing Queen. Should there be some connection between this and that, or should we keep the two completely separate from each other?

Would anyone like to take on one of the factions on Krim to flesh it out? I can do all that myself, but if anyone has input on that its very welcome.
Deme seems to have good ideas on Kalamach Cin, but we are still spit-balling here. Would anyone like to throw something out for the Cult, Malventum, the Ephesians or Fangohr itself?
Post away if you do.

,,,, and I have to ask, am I being too hands-off now?

Vralian Painter
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 12:07 pm 
Phaing wrote:
No doubt, and their side of history is bound to be very different from what Phe'dre set down in writing. The catch is, we won't know Kalamack Cin even exists until we get there.

It could work out as long as there are rumors. The prospect of a journey to a new place that has the mere potential of some sort of rumor might be sufficient.

Phaing wrote:
Maybe.... but not the Cassiline angle. Those guys are not Battlefield-oriented, and the Battlefield is what determines longevity on Krim. Perhaps a lighter and more nimble version of Knightly cavalry has been invented here, one that can compete with Tatars on their own ground.
I am envisioning men wearing chain or scale mail polished to a high shine, wearing face-masks of steel molded to match the features of their faces. They have lances that can also be thrown, long curved swords, and can use light lever-action crossbows from the saddle.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Cassiel, just that they might be followers of one of Elua's companions (maybe even one that wasn't introduced in the books that existed as far as these people believe) with a divergent philosophy that has developed over time. Generally, they could be followers of Elua trying to maintain "civilization" in a "barbarian" land.

Phaing wrote:
Now, if there is another candidate for a scheme like that, someone that looks like nothing but could be twisted into a soulless engine of destruction, lets go with that.

Sabrina, who I mentioned earlier, is very undeveloped, but she will generally want to seek revenge against Ephesium (and will probably view La Serenissima as not much better). I don't think I made her especially inclined towards combat in her history. In any case, I think there's a role for her to play, though I'm not quite certain what it is yet.

Wynthrop, while sort of a good guy, would pretty much take any contract. If there is money to be made, he might cooperate, though feeling for Phaing could create a conflict. Regarding Wynthrop, he's supposed to be a bit of a faithless player, but I thought to have him be won over by Phaing or perhaps one of the characters from the other threads he had started but not finished.

Phaing wrote:
Wynthrop could be very valuable here, obviously, but maybe we should give him time to do that westward journey first?

Osman is another splendid candidate, even more so than a Courcel Royal .... and this would start out as too insignificant and end up far to risky for any Royal to even dream of taking part in.
Wouldn't it?

Osman probably wouldn't be helping Phaing/Wynthrop/whoever else. He'd probably be more interested in conspiring an alliance with Phaing's enemies. I don't really want to drop my Ephesium plot, but I think it can be integrated well enough.

As long as the date of the threads is sufficiently far into the future, Wynthrop should be fine. There's no problem for me to write about stuff that Wynthrop did in the past after I write what he will do at a later time.

Quote:
For example, how large should the Pirate ship be? Will we use it to pursue the kidnappers (provided we are going with that idea) or should we just wring some information out of them and move on with a ship of our own?
Does any Char here have a ship of their own?

We still have a missing Queen. Should there be some connection between this and that, or should we keep the two completely separate from each other?

Would anyone like to take on one of the factions on Krim to flesh it out? I can do all that myself, but if anyone has input on that its very welcome.

I'd say that a pirate ship should be one built for speed but with sufficient space for stolen cargo and war engines, etc.

I'd say that they should just be used for interrogation. Wynthrop has his own ship. Honestly, it would be unusual that he had been spending so much time in a city away from his ship. Perhaps it might be damaged if he has to limp back to Terre D'Ange.

The Queen has been left missing largely because Mer hasn't really been able to participate for a while. I think the Queen is just going to be left missing unless Mer comes back at some point. It would be up to Mer if the Queen were to play any role, even indirectly.

I've already taken on Ephesium and La Serenissima. I'd say that you could flesh out the factions of Krim, though I'm happy to contribute ideas if I come up with any (or consider any ideas for Ephesium and La Serenissima). I'm personally content to run with other peoples' ideas and incorporate my own where possible (Ephesium/Cythera/my historian).

I was thinking of making my historian come from Africa. I want him to pursue his interest in Elua based on his own interest from an outsider's perspective rather than from the perspective of own raised within Elua's culture with their preconceptions. He will have a mysterious past (perhaps including piracy or whatever else). I'm open to the possibility of him being Phaing's father if you didn't already have a character in mind to create (wheter he be a player character or NPC).

Something random - I mentioned the possibility of ships using Greek fire (this was something actually used in naval combat by ships from Byzantium).

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 12:41 pm 
It could work out as long as there are rumors. The prospect of a journey to a new place that have the mere potential of some sort of rumor might be sufficient.

Yes, and one of the Chars made to take part in this adventure could be a great source of rumors about Krim. Good to go!

IIt doesn't necessarily have to be Cassiel, just that they might be followers of one of Elua's companions (maybe even one that wasn't introduced in the books that existed as far as these people believe) with a divergent philosophy that has developed over time. Generally, they could be followers of Elua trying to maintain "civilization" in a "barbarian" land.

Yes.
Yes and YES!
Would you like to develop these people and their little land? That neck of land at the east end of the Crimea is their area, and there really are mines there.

ISabrina, who I mentioned earlier, is very undeveloped, but she will generally want to seek revenge against Ephesium (and will probably view La Serenissima as not much better). I don't think I made her especially inclined towards combat in her history. In any case, I think there's a role for her to play, though I'm not quite certain what it is yet.

Well, some people are confused that this isn't Phaing's kidnapping now, but we are still Brain-storming.
Maybe more input will help with this.
Sabrina might be a good choice, but what about her would attract the attention of a Pirate or anyone else looking for that sort of recruit for the Arch-Fiend? She sounds well-traveled, can we ass something to her history, or expand on something?
What ties does she have in TdA?

We need someone known and that has some friends here to motivate the rescuers.

IWynthrop, while sort of a good guy, would pretty much take any contract. If there is money to be made, he might cooperate, though feeling for Phaing could create a conflict. Regarding Wynthrop, he's supposed to be a bit of a faithless player, but I thought to have him be won over by Phaing or perhaps one of the characters from the other threads he had started but not finished.

Everyone has a cause, or something that they will rise for that will tend to surprise people, I really have no idea what would draw Wynthrop.... but he does have a wanderlust and seems to like to explore. Krim is not well known, but its location indicates that it could be a great trade nexus... or a fantastic base for Bandits (its actually functioning as both ATM)

IOsman probably wouldn't be helping Phaing/Wynthrop/whoever else. He'd probably be more interested in conspiring an alliance with Phaing's enemies. I don't really want to drop my Ephesium plot, but I think it can be integrated well enough.

Krim could be seen as a darker version of Cytheria... much darker, and the only major outside power competing with Ephesus there are the Tatar Hordes. Militarily powerful, they are still Diplomatically miniscule.

IAs long as the date of the threads is sufficiently far into the future, Wynthrop should be fine. There's no problem for me to write about stuff that Wynthrop did in the past after I write what he will do at a later time.

Its late September.... so, I think we need to make choices by the end of this week-

1- are we going with Phaing or Sabrina being kidnapped?
2- are we going with a start date of September, or delay until March when the seas become safe to travel again in JC's world?

Vralian Painter
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 1:36 pm 
Sure - I can develop them, just give me a little time. It doesn't really have to be done until people have actually arrived in Krim.

Sabrina is the daughter of the ex-Governor of Cythera. She probably wouldn't be well-traveled, just well learned. Her family will have been kidnapped/killed, and her countrymen turned against her. She will not have met anyone in Terre D'Ange, though I apparently made her mother D'Angeline. She would be, if I used her, a separate plot line that would converge at some point in Krim.

I don't really have a character that people would want to save. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that Phaing could want to return to put an end to those that seek to (but will have failed to) take away her new found freedom. Beyond that, perhaps Wynthrop would have an interest in procuring that amber shipment. Phaing could even hire Wynthrop as a privateer (she could hire the privateer, not knowing who it would turn out to be).

Sounds good as far as Osman's potential for negotiating an alliance.

1- Sabrina definitely shouldn't be the one to be kidnapped. I think Phaing shouldn't be the one either. I would suggest that something, perhaps a failed kidnapping attempt against Phaing or whatever else you think might work, would draw Phaing there.
2- Either works fine for me. The problems with sailing at certain times and places seemed a bit strange to me from a historical perspective - is there some sort of magic problem? Was it the Master of the Straits who is no longer a factor? Was this problem in existence during the third series when Moirin sailed all over the place (though I don't remember when)? I'm just curious.

I'll be back later tonight.

Suplicant
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 3:02 pm 
Sure - I can develop them, just give me a little time. It doesn't really have to be done until people have actually arrived in Krim.

Very true, and it may take weeks to get there.... unless we can fast forward in game time when its dull.
Can we do that?

Sabrina is the daughter of the ex-Governor of Cythera. She probably wouldn't be well-traveled, just well learned. Her family will have been kidnapped/killed, and her countrymen turned against her. She will not have met anyone in Terre D'Ange, though I apparently made her mother D'Angeline. She would be, if I used her, a separate plot line that would converge at some point in Krim.

Awesome, I am liking her more and more.
In fact, the Cytheria connection could play into this , or maybe we could handle Cytheria on a more cerebral level?
My diplomat does have some good ideas about that place, ideas that would make it more interesting as time goes by.

I don't really have a character that people would want to save. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that Phaing could want to return to put an end to those that seek to (but will have failed to) take away her new found freedom. Beyond that, perhaps Wynthrop would have an interest in procuring that amber shipment. Phaing could even hire Wynthrop as a privateer (she could hire the privateer, not knowing who it would turn out to be).

The Amber HAS to be a surprise, or else the place would be mobbed and every Merc with an attitude and every Caerdicci spy that thinks they could get their hands on it would be there. I think there are going to be enough maniacs there as it is.

Now, one or the other should be kidnapped.
Phaing or Sabrina, there has to be a real person taken.
To even make this a legal issue, there has to be someone really missing. This is the emergency clause- if nobody cares enough, there is also the issue that someone in the City of Elua itself was snatched by slavers.
This is even more serious than 3 kids from the back-coutry of Siovale being stolen away, and you may recall what the reaction to that was. Even if they are not born d'Angeline its an indictment of the Kingdom's ability to defend its own people, and a slap in the face that would... perhaps, get the attention of the Crown or some sort of high authority.

1- Sabrina definitely shouldn't be the one to be kidnapped. I think Phaing shouldn't be the one either. I would suggest that something, perhaps a failed kidnapping attempt against Phaing or whatever else you think might work, would draw Phaing there.
2- Either works fine for me. The problems with sailing at certain times and places seemed a bit strange to me from a historical perspective - is there some sort of magic problem? Was it the Master of the Straits who is no longer a factor? Was this problem in existence during the third series when Moirin sailed all over the place (though I don't remember when)? I'm just curious.

in the South Sea (the Mediterranean) Sailing seems to have become treacherous in late October and very risky by sometime in November.
Now, in our world, that's not the case, and snow in southern France is rare, but JC lives in upper Michigan and the Great Lakes are so stormy that from November to the end of February you just don't go in Lake Superior.
Ah, but her people never went to the Black Sea... I can make that one different.
Let's say that one does not get so bad in winter, but its very bad in Spring.... like the Bearing sea. That gives us a little more time to play with.

Vralian Painter
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 8:31 pm 
Phaing wrote:
Very true, and it may take weeks to get there.... unless we can fast forward in game time when its dull.
Can we do that?

While the real date is often used as a sort of guide, I don't think you have to stick to it strictly. You can skip ahead in time over the minutiae of travel - I don't really care for books that read like travelogues without plot points or interesting character development.

Phaing wrote:
Awesome, I am liking her more and more.
In fact, the Cytheria connection could play into this , or maybe we could handle Cytheria on a more cerebral level?
My diplomat does have some good ideas about that place, ideas that would make it more interesting as time goes by.

I'm open to ideas for Cythera, but it's not really a reconcilable matter of a conflict of interests as it is a conflict of influence between two naval powers in the Mediterranean, modeled on the conflicts between Venice and the Ottoman Empire, so I'm not sure what role diplomacy would play but for posturing and manipulation.

Perhaps people from Cythera would be kidnapped and brought to Krim for the pits or some sort of experimentation (though that's admittedly a bit dark). Otherwise, Sabrina will generally want to escape Cythera but also seek revenge against Ephesium, which could probably be enough to bring her to Krim.

Phaing wrote:
The Amber HAS to be a surprise, or else the place would be mobbed and every Merc with an attitude and every Caerdicci spy that thinks they could get their hands on it would be there. I think there are going to be enough maniacs there as it is.
Now, one or the other should be kidnapped.
To even make this a legal issue, there has to be someone really missing.

That makes sense about the amber.

Sabrina hasn't ever been to Terre D'Ange. I don't think there would be a motivation for her to be kidnapped, except by the Ephesians, though I suppose she can have overheard something between some people while in Cythera.

If someone needs to be kidnapped, I suppose Phaing is the only option. She could always lead her rescuers on a chase by leaving a series of notes. That way, she would fill the role of being kidnapped as well as the role of a guide. I think I missed the part about why it has to be a legal issue though. Isn't it just a matter of some motivation to get the group of characters to Krim? A kidnapping is fine with me as the plot device though.

Phaing wrote:
in the South Sea (the Mediterranean) Sailing seems to have become treacherous in late October and very risky by sometime in November.

I suspect it would have had something to do with something like the Master of the Straits, like with the English Channel. Though I would question whether this should be a factor, I suppose that I just need to accept it as part of the setting. Maybe they take their chances on a late season voyage but end up only making it to Hellas or something. I'd say to just make the date in early September, even if the actual date of the posts doesn't align closely.

Mercenary
PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 8:58 pm 
Player: Evanesce
I have Katya for this plot, and thought maybe I'd throw in some ideas?

Would Phaing have any reason to want to maybe 'liberate' some d'Angelines she has heard want to come home but can't for one reason or another? Maybe she hears a rumor from a traveling merchant and a name she knows pops up, a name she can't ignore? Maybe once they get to Krim, she could get kidnapped then (or a member of their group?) I dunno, just some ideas so they (the rest of the group) aren't trying to blindly find their way around or to Krim and seem a bit believable...

Maybe somebody else wants to liberate said d'Angelines who want to come home and Phaing hears they are going to Krim and decides to tag along/lead them there?

Just ideas.